The Wizard of OZ is a favorite around here and soon we will be going to see it on stage! THE WIZARD OF OZ is being presented by Dallas Summer Musicals now until March 30 at Music Hall at Fair Park. Get your tickets here!
“We’re off to see….” the most magical adventure of them all. Andrew Lloyd Webber’s new production of The Wizard of Oz is an enchanting adaptation of the all-time classic, for the stage.
Developed from the ever popular MGM screenplay, this new production contains all the beloved songs from the Oscar®-winning movie score, all the favorite characters and iconic moments, plus a few surprises along the way, including new songs by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber.
Click your heels together and join Scarecrow, Tin Man, Lion, Dorothy and her little dog Toto, as they journey through the magical land of Oz to meet the Wizard and obtain their hearts’ desires. Watch out for the Wicked Witch of the West and her winged monkeys as you rediscover the real story of Oz in this fantastic musical treat for all the family.
Fun Facts about the Show:
- THE WIZARD OF OZ is Andrew Lloyd Webber’s 18th musical.
- THE WIZARD OF OZ was Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber’s first production together in three decades.
- In the original film, the song “Over the Rainbow” was ranked #1 by the American Film Institute in 2004 on the 100 Greatest Songs in American Films list.
- The name for Oz was thought up when the creator, L. Frank Baum, looked at his filing cabinet and saw A-N, and O-Z, hence “Oz.”
- The song “Over the Rainbow” was nearly cut from THE WIZARD OF OZ because it studio executives thought it slowed down the show.
- In the original Wizard of Oz novel, Dorothy wore silver slippers.